Photo courtesy of the Courier Journal
*Don’t forget, Louisville Sports Live returns to the airwaves tonight. You can catch us on ESPN 68O am from 7-8. If you can’t listen in on the radio, remember you can always stream us live at www.espnlouisville.com
– Louisville head coach Rick Pitino stirred up some internet gossip yesterday after he took some very blatant shots at Uconn for leaving the Big East. Pretty sure he won’t be received too warmly the next time the Cards visit Storrs.
“Did you ever think that it ever crossed the mind of John Wooden to go into the Atlantic Coast Conference because they were bigger than the Pac-10 when he was winning 11 championships? Pitino asked. “Do you ever think it crossed his mind? No, when you’re great winner, those things don’t cross your mind.
“The only thing that crosses your mind is the ability to win a championship and carry on the great tradition you’ve built. And then you’re going to tell me that Connecticut, which can win a BCS in football, is going to take the opportunity to try and win against Miami and those other people?”
– Speaking of Pitino and the northeast, he was in Patterson, New Jersey yesterday watching 2013 prospects Reggie Cameron and Mike young. Cameron is a 6-7 wing and Young is a bruising 6-8 power forward. Both players hold offers from a litany of Big East and ACC schools.
– Nice piece from CL Brown today on Louisville cornerback transfer Adrian Bushell and his battle to get back on the field. It’s no secret that Bushell struggled academically at Florida before leaving and attending junior college, but it appears that he’s rebounded nicely and found a second home here at UofL.
U of L defensive coordinator Vance Bedford first came in contact with Bushell on the recruiting trail while at Oklahoma State in 2007. The Cowboys were one of three teams on Bushell’s short list before he chose the Gators.
Bedford, who wound up coaching Bushell at Florida in 2008-09, said he has matured since having to redshirt as a freshman due to academic issues.
“He was a young man who didn’t understand how important it was to do the little things right,” Bedford said. “I think he understands that now. … He’s grown quite a bit. He still has a long way to go and he has to continue to develop, but so far he’s done well.”
Bushell’s arrival and the emergence of senior Anthony Conner and freshman Andrew Johnson have helped solidify the Cardinals’ cornerback concerns.
Strong said Bushell provides speed on defense. Strong and Bedford credited Bushell, a standout sprinter in high school, for two touchdown-saving tackles against UK when he came from out of position to stop the runner.
“It was a big lift because our guys saw here’s another athletic player on the field who can go make plays,” Strong said.
– According to the UofL athletic department there are still around 350 tickets available for Saturday’s 3:30 game against Marshall. There’s been lots of chatter about Louisville “deserving” to be in a BCS league because of the tradition that was built over the last 15 years. Not selling out what would be one of the smallest stadiums in the new Big 12, is not what the program needs moving forward. Buy a damn ticket and support the team.
– You can catch former Louisville RB and current Oakland Raider Michael Bush on the Jim Rome show today on Fox 790 a.m. between 9-12. No clue which segment he’ll appear in, so just listen to the whole show.
– Glasgow, Kentucky tight end Hunter Bowles is set to announce his college decision today at 11:00 a.m. It’s reportedly down to Louisville and Kentucky. We’ll keep you updated once the decision goes public.
– Here’s a couple of Louisville – Marshall game previews from the opposing side, via the Charleston Gazette.
*Follow me on Twitter @BrentLSL and through our site’s account @Lvillesprtslive