In an interview with CBSSports.com’s John Rothstein, Rick Pitino gave some insight on the players’ progression and how the team, as a whole, is coming along.
Here are some quotes from Pitino.
- “We’re high on our potential but until we start practicing every day we don’t have a real feel of what we are yet.”
- When asked about Louisville’s depth, Pitino said, “We have 10-11 guys that can play. The only difference between our 1st and 2nd team really is Gorgui Dieng.”
- On Kevin Ware, “He’s made a significant jump. He’s a totally different player. He’ll start for us at two guard.”
- On Luke Hancock, “He was named co-captain without ever playing a game. That should tell everyone what we think of him.”
- On Wayne Blackshear, “The fact that he’s healthy heading into the season is crucial.”
- On Peyton Siva, “He’s one of the top five people I’ve met in my life. He was a combo that we made into a point guard.”
- On Gorgui Dieng, “He will be one of the premier shot blocker’s in the country. He’s up to 248 pounds.”
- On Chane Behanan, “He had a great ending to last season. We’ll see how he progresses as a sophomore.”
- On Russ Smith, “He’s not just a great offensive player. He didn’t play a stitch of D when he got here + now he’s a great defender.”
- On Montrezl Harrell, “Unless someone is Anthony Davis, you have no idea how a freshman is going to play in college.”
- On the team in general, “We have so many weapons. We’re not sure who will come to the forefront on a night to night basis.”
- Pitino’s projected starting lineup–Peyton Siva, Kevin Ware, Luke Hancock, Chane Behanan, Gorgui Dieng.
- On Big East, “DePaul is going to much improved. I think they’ll make a jump similar to what South Florida made last year.”