With summer beginning to wind down, basketball recruiting is starting to heat up. Prospects are trimming their lists and scheduling official visits for the fall. At the same time, many recruits are making names for themselves on the summer AAU circuit. This is an important time for Louisville’s staff to focus their manpower to certain prospects and maybe stop recruiting some other prospects. Here are some of the bullet points when it comes to Louisville’s recent recruiting efforts.
- According to ITV’s Mike Hughes, five-star center Goodluck Okonobah (above) is emerging as a top target for the Louisville staff. The 6’9 center, out of Massachusetts, is ranked #19 by 247 Sports. Okonobah is renowned for his length and shot blocking ability.
- Shaqquan Aaron has had quite the summer on the AAU circuit.
- According to recruiting guru Jerry Meyer, 2015 five-star Tyler Dorsey is currently favoring UConn and Louisville, and the two schools are both in the front-runner position to land the point guard. The 6’4 guard out of California is also looking at other top programs like Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona. Dorsey is ranked #12 in the 2015 class.
- Cliff Alexander is another center prospect who is emerging as a priority for the Louisville staff. Apparently, Alexander will use one of his official visits to make a trip to Louisville’s campus, and, on Louisville, the 6’9 center said, “Louisville, same thing with those guys. Me and Coach (Rick) Pitino have a great relationship since they started recruiting me. We’ll go there from there.” The fact that current Louisville commit Jaquan Lyle plays on the same AAU team as Alexander will surely help Louisville in this recruiting battle. Cliff Alexander is ranked #7 in the 2014 class.
- Rick Pitino was recently in Las Vegas to watch prospects mention above Goodluck Okonobah and Cliff Alexander as well as 6’10 center Myles Turner and 6’9 power forward Jaylen Johnson. Turner is ranked #5 in the 2014 class and Johnson is ranked #62.