Bunch of news to get to this morning, but first we wanna say that if you’re reading this post you’re on our new website. Big thanks goes out to the guys from Louisville Geek for hooking us up. The old website (www.louisvillesportslive.podbean.com) will remain intact for now, but we have informed everybody over there that all new info and posts will only be posted here from now on. This thing is in its infancy stages and there’s still work to be done, but it’s obviously a huge improvement over our previous endeavor. Now on to the news……
- The final match-ups for the Big East- SEC Challenge were announced yesterday, and Louisville will host Vanderbilt on Friday, December 2nd at the KFC Yum! Center. This game, barring some unforeseen early season loss, should feature 2 top-10 teams. Vanderbilt returns a strong squad as all three potential NBA draftees, John Jenkins, Jeffrey Taylor, and Festus Ezeli, decided to come back to school after testing the waters.
There are a total of 12 games spanning from December 1-3, and here’s the full list of participants and locations:
|Thu, Dec 1||St. John’s at No. 2 Kentucky|
|Georgetown at No. 14 Alabama|
|Providence at South Carolina|
|Mississippi at DePaul|
|Fri, Dec 2||No. 7 Vanderbilt at No. 9 Louisville|
|No. 12 Florida at No. 4 Syracuse|
|No. 19 Cincinnati at Georgia|
|Auburn at Seton Hall|
|Sat, Dec 3||Arkansas at No. 6 Connecticut|
|No. 17 Pittsburgh at Tennessee|
|West Virginia at Mississippi State|
|LSU at Rutgers|
- Yesterday was a huge day for Louisville football as Charlie Strong scored three HUGE commitments. The first two came from Miami’s Norland High School, as teammates Teko Powell (DL – 6’3, 280) and Brandon Snell (WR – 5-11, 180) both gave their pledge to Louisville after Clint Hurtt visited them on Thursday. Louisville also scored a commitment from Brunswick, Georgia product Demetrius Frazier (CB – 5-10, 175) late last night. Frazier should help fill a gaping void in the secondary and add some much needed depth. You can read more about all these players on www.insidetheville.com
- The Louisville football program received some bad news on Thursday as its 4 year APR (Academic Progress Rate) dipped below the acceptable NCAA-required 925. This hit will result in the loss of three scholarships for the 2011 class. The APR tracks academics in 4-year clips and then produces results. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that Charlie Strong will bare the brunt end of this Steve Kragthorpe induced dagger. Good ole’ Krags. He reminds me of a raging case of fleas. He appears in your life, makes all kinds of bad stuff happen, you try to wash him out and he keeps coming back to screw you over again. Then, when it looks like you’ve finally moved on and exterminated him from all existence, he just pops back on the scene to say hello one last time. Thanks again, Steve.
- Missouri transfer Tyler Gabbert will make an official visit to Louisville this weekend and apparently doesn’t have any other visits planned as of right now. If all goes well, Louisville could add another former 4-star recruit to it’s QB arsenal.
- We mentioned on our podcast this past Wednesday that Louisville is looking to add a potential transfer, and Luke Hancock of George Mason could be the man. He just finished up a visit with Rick Pitino and reportedly has the Cardinals at the top of his list.
- Decision time for Ryan Harrow…..the former 5-star McDonald’s All-American transfer from NC State will make his formal announcement next week. He cancelled his trip to St. John’s this week and it’s now reportedly down to Georgia, Louisville, and Kentucky. If he picks Georgia, that all but seals Kevin Ware to Louisville. Ware has said he’s down to two schools – Louisville and Georgia. We’ll keep an eye on things as they develop.
- Brent Lepping